ok so there is a thread on LBT that really got me frustrated. They were asking what age you were when you got your band and now the discussion has turned into who is better at loosing weight people under 30 or people over 30. Everyone has been writing that people over 30 can loose weight better for a number of reasons and no one has posted for the under 30 crowd. I think that it doesn't matter what age you are but I also don't want anyone telling me that I'm not motivated enough to loose weight just because I'm in my twenties. Please go to this thread and post! This is how I replied...
"I'm 22 and I started looking into the band when I was 18. I have worked really hard at making my band work for me and I've done things I would have never imagined that I could do (being on clear liquids for 1 month and 10 days then mushies for another month before I could eat solid foods). I don't think someones age determines their amount of discipline or how much of a burden this is. I have been overweight my whole life I have no idea what it feels like to be skinny or feel attractive, this is my biggest motivation for success. I have waisted so much time obsessing about my weight now I just want to get healthy and have some fun! I'm very social but there is a way to be social and still follow the rules. I go out to bars about 3 times a week and I still loose every week. In fact my doctor told me that I'm in the 99th percentile for weight loss and when I asked him why he thought I've done so well he told me that I'm lucky I got this surgery while I was young because my metabolism is faster. And one other thing, don't you remember how cruel people can be when you're young? It's a great motivation to remember what people have said to you and try to show them just how wrong they were!
I know if someone wants this bad enough they will be successful no mater what their age is."
OK so the link to the thread is:
http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f7/average-age-bandster-80124/
go and post no matter what you're opinion is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
wow...going now! thats kind of crazy...
I completely agree age has nothing to do with your motivation, and if anything a higher metabolism and the social pressure of being overweight at our age really do push you to work hard and have the band help to its best ability!
I completely agree. I think part of it is that there aren't nearly as many people under 30 with bands to compete with those over 30.
It's great to hear from someone else in a similar positon as myself (a twenty something college student) who is doing wonderfully.
The challenges for younger bandsters are a lot different than those of older bandsters and I think many people fail to recognize that. I've been overweight since middle school - and when you've been overweight that long, it almost becomes (sadly) part of your identity.
Post a Comment